The Newfield Inn, Seathwaite
In Tudor times the owner of Coniston Hall and Rydal Hall was Hugh Fleming who married, before 1505, Joan Hudleston daughter and co-heir of Millom Castle
Their second son Thomas had two sons Richard (born 1550-1) and (John born 1555-6).
Richard married Jane daughter and heir of John Troughton of Troughton Hall acquiring that estate which he exchanged for Newfield in Seathwaite.(no date possible 1580)
Richard was succeeded at Newfield by his son Thomas
Thomas (died 1635) and was succeeded by his son John Fleming who married Elizabeth Casson of Sellah Ulpha John died about 1670 and was succeeded by his eldest son Thomas Fleming who married Jane a distant cousin of the daughter of Col. John Huddleston of Long Garth Ulpha Thomas (died 1713) his successor was his eldest son Richard Fleming (born 1659)
Richard Fleming married Jane Swainson in 1683 having a large family his successor at Newfield was Thomas (born 1684) who was the last of the family to live at Newfield
By 1746 John and Ann Casson were at Newfield. The Cassons came from Frith Hall Ulpha.
This cupboard was at Newfield until 1913 removed by Dawson Family and taken to Glasgow as the daughter married Alex Ogilvy Contractor (assumed to be a contractor involved in the building of the dam at Seathwaite Tarn)